July and August Update
Praise God for more helpers!
New Team Member
At the heart of Equip Mozambique is the mission to Discover, Partner with, and Empower Mozambicans to reach their goals. We get to live this in a very practical way with our new teammate–Dino! Dino is the leader of the media team, so he’s been doing church projects with Jon ever since we got here.
Now we have hired him part-time to help with Jon’s never-ending stream of work, and he is also receiving training toward eventually starting up his own video production company. Along with Dino, Jon is continuing to disciple several young leaders and helpers in the church about how to live and work with diligence, integrity, and honesty.
The church puts on several conferences per year, and in August we had the International Conference with speakers from all over the world. Thousands of people attended, and hundreds responded to every altar call. In the following weeks, we’ve heard several testimonies of people whose lives were changed through physical, emotional, and spiritual healing during the conference. God is so good! We served in our usual, background jobs to help make sure everything ran smoothly. It’s definitely exciting to be part of a ministry like this.
As we wrote in our previous newsletter, the last few months have been full of visitors. Our most recent visit was from Laura, a young lady from Jon and Carla’s home church. She blessed us by bringing a lot of hard-to-get supplies and equipment with her when she came, and spent three weeks serving alongside of us. She took over the English classes that Carla had started with pastor’s family and spent many hours with them.
Two of the pastor’s daughters are hoping to study abroad, and this was great opportunity for them to learn more English while also having fun and forming friendships with someone closer to their age. Laura utilized some of her skills as a Sunday school teacher to help a fellow missionary, Sharon, with her work in the Sunday school program. All of our visitors have had great experiences and we’ve been very blessed by their time with us. Let us know if you’d be interested in coming to see us too!
- Jon was offered a part-time job that has flexible hours and can work around his ministry. It has also provided capital to make it possible to help some entrepreneurs start up businesses.
- Dino has been a blessing to our team, it’s great to work with people of integrity!
- The conference went well and many lives were touched
- Visitors have continued to be a blessing to the team and our work here
- Please pray for protection for our team’s health, we’ve all been hit with colds and stomach problems for a while; Janie was home-ridden for almost a month. We’re all on the mend now, but please pray that we can STAY healthy!
- Carla has started some sewing lessons to help a group of widows to support themselves. So far there has been solid interest, but please pray that keeps up and that they are able to learn quickly. Will update more in the next newsletter!