Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Happy New Year!
Two busy months have flown by!
Wow, the End of 2014 was packed with so many amazing things that it’s hard to know where to begin! We’ve had: major breakthroughs in a number of our projects, doors flung wide open in ways we never would have guessed, clarification of our vision, and small victories in some of our biggest battles. Partnering with the Creator in transformation is never boring! Read on to hear more.
Refining the Vision
We’ve always known the vision of Equip Mozambique should be to equip the Mozambicans; find those with purpose and support them in whatever way they want to change their culture. We originally thought we would be doing that through the creation of a college, and this project is still in the works; however, it has become clear that it will take many years to complete. The education system is so systematically flawed that we will need to spend many months just sitting down with the teachers and discussing what a godly school would look like in this culture.
The last thing we want to do is take an American system and place it in Mozambique; yes the school would work and people would attend it, but we wouldn’t truly be confronting the things that need the most change. The other major roadblock has been unemployment; it’s around 20% even for college graduates. It has become clear to us that the best impact we can have here in the short-term is in job creation and entrepreneurship training rather than education for a degree that may or may not help in securing employment.
While we are still looking at education for the long-term good of the culture, several opportunities have opened up to help with job creation. Jon taught a seminar class on doing business using the principles of the Kingdom of God, and he has been visiting companies and sitting down with their directors.
He’s been talking to them, learning about the business culture, and giving them ideas on how to grow and develop their businesses to hire more employees. We are currently working on an analysis of the city and identifying strategic opportunities for honest businessmen. The church is very excited about our work so far and the business owners are going to be meeting together to discuss their plans, something that is rarely done in here, where it’s more common to hide all your best ideas instead of work with others.
We have been in contact with two teams that may come later this year, one to create some video documentaries and one to help build a Christian recording studio. We are quite excited about these projects as they fit perfectly with our vision. The short time that these teams may be here would empower the Mozambican Christians to do so much more than they could alone, and once the projects get started, they won’t need continuing support from outside of the country to grow.
Let us know if you would like to visit as well to help with a project! While we can only accommodate a few people in our apartment, our church is in the process of constructing a new building that will have guest rooms able to accommodate larger teams, so later this year we hope to be able to take on even more visitors! There will be many opportunities for you to partner with us in 2015, whether from the States or as a visitor here in Beira. Please contact us if you’re interested.
- For “Faith Comes By Hearing”‘s audio Bible generosity.
- For receiving our tax-exempt status.
- That we found an affordable place to live–and we didn’t even have to move! That was definitely an answered prayer from our last newsletter!
- That the immigration office has extended our 30-day visas TWICE now while we have run into a few roadblocks in getting our residency status. At first we were told that would be impossible…it’s a good thing we serve a God greater than impossibilities!
- The church has been in a legal struggle for more than a year over a piece of land where they want to construct a new building to accommodate the church’s rapid growth. Last week they FINALLY won the court case and they’ll be able to start building soon!
- For partnership with businessmen and specialists who will, we hope, be able to make a big impact on their culture.
- That the teams who would like to come help will be able to–that all their finances would come in and there wouldn’t be any other hindrances.
- We needed some documents sent from the States to continue our residency process, and they’re not here yet even though they should have arrived by now. Please pray they’ll get here soon!