Mozambique Through Western Eyes
In July, we received a visit from the Koenig family. Todd, Amy, and their two teenage sons, Andrew and J.L., stayed with us for two weeks to help teach and train and find out more of what Equip Mozambique is all about.
“Last year we prayed about doing a family mission trip and contacted different people we knew [doing mission work] throughout the world…Mozambique, with Jon and Carla, is where we felt God was leading us to spend some time.”
During their time here, the Koenig family taught a variety of workshops for members of our partner churches. Amy taught a crochet class, and showed her students how to make yarn out of old t-shirts (which are readily available in the market and very cheap; about $0.25 each). Todd, J.L., and Andrew offered math tutoring in the mornings, and Andrew taught a piano class in the afternoon, while J.L. also helped with programming on the Fonte da Vida app.
“The math tutoring was also very encouraging, the first day we had six people walk in the door less than half-an-hour after we started. Punctuality is not an African value, so to have people that quickly was a massive boost to our confidence…”
In addition to math tutoring, J.L. used some of his programming skills to teach the Equip Mozambique staff and help develop version 3.5 of the Fonte da Vida app.
Todd also provided some great ideas during conversations about our future plans and strategies. It was helpful to have him as a sounding board for our thoughts, and, coming as a visitor, he had a fresh perspective and could give different input on some of the things that have become commonplace for us.
“I would encourage every family to do a trip like this together.”
- That the Koenig family had a safe & productive trip.
- That we were given the opportunity to share about the Fonte da Vida app at a recent evangelism event, and that a lot of people were interested, even downloading the app during the event!
- That God continues to send new ideas and new partnerships our way.
- Health for everyone on the team.
- Carla is in her 8th month of pregnancy now, so please pray for a safe delivery in (probably) early September!
- Unity among the churches in Beira.
- For continued direction and guidance for all of us.